I attended one of the recitals from the Washington National Piano Festival at the Kennedy Center’s Millenium Stage, featuring Ivo Kaltchev and Milen Petrov. The duo performed four piano duets featuring composers Poulenc, Milhaud, Piazzolla, and Copeland.
Their first piece “Sonata for Two Pianos” by Poulenc had heavy dissonance, octaves up the piano and hand crossing. It had a hauntingly beautiful melody line that went from one pianist to the other. It had a somewhat minimal approach at the beginning, then a heavy rondo section to then go back to the “A” section of the piece. I enjoyed it and their body language throughout the entire piece was as if they were one with every note they played. They would lean into the keys, almost as if they wouldn’t get their message across unless they put their whole being into it.
Their second piece “Scaramouche” by Milhaud was a contrast from the first one. It began with playful rhythms and jazz flair every now and then. Again, they had relaxed posture and their hands seemed to glide across the keys with ease. They weren’t smiling, but they looked like they enjoyed being up there.
Their third piece “Grand Tango” by Piazzolla had a unique melody line with syncopated rhythms. The “B” section I really enjoyed, but then it started getting boring at the end.
Their last piece “Billy The Kid” by Copland had probably the most jazz of all the pieces and, of course, syncopation. Towards the end it started getting exciting and much more movement from the performers as they swayed with the music. They made a big finish with a glissando from both performers.
I really enjoyed this recital from two talented musicians who displayed love for the art through their musical passages and lines. I’m definitely glad I went.
Their first piece “Sonata for Two Pianos” by Poulenc had heavy dissonance, octaves up the piano and hand crossing. It had a hauntingly beautiful melody line that went from one pianist to the other. It had a somewhat minimal approach at the beginning, then a heavy rondo section to then go back to the “A” section of the piece. I enjoyed it and their body language throughout the entire piece was as if they were one with every note they played. They would lean into the keys, almost as if they wouldn’t get their message across unless they put their whole being into it.
Their second piece “Scaramouche” by Milhaud was a contrast from the first one. It began with playful rhythms and jazz flair every now and then. Again, they had relaxed posture and their hands seemed to glide across the keys with ease. They weren’t smiling, but they looked like they enjoyed being up there.
Their third piece “Grand Tango” by Piazzolla had a unique melody line with syncopated rhythms. The “B” section I really enjoyed, but then it started getting boring at the end.
Their last piece “Billy The Kid” by Copland had probably the most jazz of all the pieces and, of course, syncopation. Towards the end it started getting exciting and much more movement from the performers as they swayed with the music. They made a big finish with a glissando from both performers.
I really enjoyed this recital from two talented musicians who displayed love for the art through their musical passages and lines. I’m definitely glad I went.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.