Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Self Evaluation Wayne Tympanick

The piece I chose to evaluate myself is “Menuet in G Major” by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 – 1750).

From the outset, this piece looked playable for someone at my skill level, however, it very quickly became challenging for both hands. The piece is very lyrical, with many specific articulation markings. For example, there are many mordents throughout the piece which are difficult to play for a novice piano player. The abundance of phrases and dynamics also make this piece challenging. Octave skips also present problems for both hands. To overcome these challenges my piano teacher has devoted some of our lesson time to working on the piece.

To address the two hand syndrome, my approach was to practice the first sixteen measures only using the right hand playing the melody (top line). After feeling comfortable with the right hand playing the top line I went on to practicing using only the left hand playing the accompaniment. Then problems started when I attempted to put both hands together. But as we all know, that is what piano playing is all about. It is frustrating; being a percussionist and a set player I have no problem playing independently with all four limbs, but using 10 fingers on two hands while playing piano is a challenge.

Another strategy that I am using is note direction: seeing the direction of the notes before you play them. Seeing intervals in a sequence and looking ahead is another example of note direction.

These strategies are proving to be effective, but I am progressing slower than I would like. I still have difficulty playing the first sixteen measures without stopping. The piece may exceed my ability at this time.

My overall conception of the piece has not changed. It is a wonderful piece of music but it will take more time for me to master it. I would like to continue working on it because playing it correctly, with proper technique and style, would be a major accomplishment for me.

One final comment: The everlasting problem of finding practice time will continue to haunt us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.